Entry #012 - Stronghold

Hello, myself from the future. 

These last few days I haven't been able to go to sleep easily. Usually, when I go to sleep late (in the AM), I would normally be able to fall asleep very fast. However, because I have been sleeping late every day, I think this concept of time being "late" simply became the norm for me. When this happens, I would just lay awake until I would feel the urge to use the restroom again. But to make matters worse, I keep waking up once or twice in the morning to use the restroom once again. I think I should stop eating and drinking so much before bed. 

A couple of days ago, when I couldn't fall asleep, I thought back to the days of stronghold summer camp. The essence of nostalgia got my heart pumping and I definitely knew I was not going to bed anytime soon. By that point, it was already close to 5AM. Even so, I got on my phone and started looking over the camp's Facebook page. 

Then the thought hit me. I could try to get a summer job as a counselor there. Not only would I get paid to basically have fun, but I would get free housing and food for most of the summer. Moreover, it looks great on my resume. Since my whole family is going to be in Korea over the summer, this would solve the problem of me not knowing how to cook anything. When I tried to see the employment page on their website, I learned that the website was expired or something. Somebody on the management team probably got lazy with paying their bills.

Today, (like 10 minutes ago actually) when I went over the application page, I learned that I am actually very underqualified. Not only have I never had a job, to begin with, but I also don't even go to church. Since this is a Christian summer camp, this is getting more problematic for me. I guess I could try to sugarcoat my application to make myself seem more qualified than I actually am. But the part that I really got stumped was the references page. 

A year ago, I would be able to put people like my flute teacher and coaches on the list. However, it has been more than half a year since I have talked to them. Furthermore, it isn't like I can make new contact around here because everywhere is in quarantine. I am in a new environment in the Champaign area and it is impossible to establish contact with anyone in that short amount of time before I have to turn in my applications. 

I guess that is something that I will have to figure out later in the coming months. I will probably try to make friends with teachers (online, of course) and teaching assistants to help fill out my references page. For now, I emailed the place with a couple of questions. The big question I wanted to ask was if I needed to live near there. Obviously, if I have to commute back and forth every day, then I would not be able to get the job because the place is literally 3 hours away. This would be 6 hours of car riding every single working day. 

As I wait for the email back, I am hopeful that even if I don't apply for the job or get the job, I can still make this summer a great experience for me. However, camping at Stronghold probably was one of the highlights of my youth. I hope I have a great shot at getting a job there because I am confident that I can be an amazing counselor like the ones that made my summer there great. 

Comments