Entry #011 - The Greatest Prank

Hello, myself from the future.

Reading my last post, I think I was pretty gloomy and mad. So today, I will talk about something more lighthearted. You know by the title what I am talking about. The Greatest Prank ever in the history of my high school. The prank that fooled everyone in the school.

It was sometime in early 2019, the second half of my junior year of high school. I knew that April was coming up and when someone says April, the first thing that should pop in your mind is April fools. This year, I wanted to go all out. I wanted to go so big that my prank would trick everyone. As a prankster, I had to plan everything ahead. Something huge. Then I got the idea. 

I was a really close friend to a freshman that was in my band. It was a good friendship, she was one of the smartest kids in her class and probably going to be a future valedictorian. Everyone knew that we were friends, but I don't think they would ever understand how close we could get. My prank was very simple. We would simply pretend like we were dating. I knew that this would cause a huge turmoil all around school because neither of us ever dated anyone and I definitely had a reputation of being weird. Nobody would believe that someone as smart as her would ever date someone like me. And they were right, but that's why it was a prank.

When I proposed the idea to her, she was definitely on board. And we got to work. Then yet again, there wasn't really anything to do. All we had to do was go around and tell people that we were dating. It might have not been a significant prank. However, no matter how insignificant it is, if you add time to it, then a small prank can escalate into something legendary. We started "dating" on the first day of April. This was a challenge against time. We would keep this act up for a long time. 

You already know that we were successful. It was pretty hard at first. I couldn't keep up the act to some friends in the beginning and I had to tell them that it was a prank. But they became part of the prank so it was a win-win. After about a week, it became really easy to lie to everyone. And we were putting on a really good show. The prank was so good that when we had to finally call it, we did not know how to. 

No, in reality, I think I got comfortable with the idea of dating someone. Even though it was all just an act, I think I liked the attention that I was getting. I think I also was starting to catch feelings for her. Also, by this point, Prom was around the corner. I thought maybe we could go to prom together as "friends". 

But back to the topic at hand, we had to break it to everyone that it was all just a prank. I remember recording everyone's reaction. Some people had a really crazy reaction while most were just casual. I think part of the reason for that is because we kept up the prank for so long, that it just became normal for them. When we finally broke it to them, they just saw it as just another day. 

In the end, we decided to go to prom together with a group from my Track team. I remember not really wanting to go to prom because social events like that were never really my thing. But I was forced to make my move because my best friend/future roommate K was going to prom with a girl from the team. I didn't want to be left out and I remember watching youtube videos about YouTubers talking about how they never went to Prom. I thought that was the most embarrassing thing and I did not want to be a lame nerd that never went to the high school dance. 

In the end, I asked her to go to Prom with me as friends. She accepted and we joined the group. I bought a nice Tuxedo that I still have to this day. As I stated, even though I hate dances, I thought maybe prom would be a fun event for me. Maybe this would change my perspective on dances. So I kept up a positive attitude and I looked forward to that day. 

But perspectives don't just change like that. On May 4th, 2019, I probably had the worst night of my life. 



Comments